Mittwoch, 26. März 2014

Kultur Texte

Dinner For Who?

Es war sehr lustig, dass die Deutscher so wichtig das Video finden. Ich habe das nie gesehen oder gehort. It also lasted for much longer than necessary, in meiner Meinung. It could just be that I'm not one for slapstick humor, or that old, drunk British people aren't my thing, but I feel like I'm missing the part where it's so funny. Maybe it started as a generational thing and then became popular by right as a byproduct when the original connection to the skit faded away? Or it just is funny to Germans. Either way.

Sorry, We're Closed

The theme of small businesses closing at certain times is familar to me because I grew up in a small town in the US but also because there is a similar story in Spain. Anstatt der Mittagpause, gibt es la siesta. One reason that ich finde das ok is because in Germany, like in Spain, it is an opportunity for immigrants to have some sort of edge with their small businesses. Some people argue that the immigrants keeping their stores open longer are detrimental to the community or that they are spoiling tradition, but I think the fact is that sometimes you need to go to a store at certain times and some people don't want immigrants' stores to be their only option. They might otherwise never shop or do business with them which is a prejudice that only immigrant business people have to deal with. I say more power to them--it's hard enough changing countries and -potentially- learning a new language. They are on a different playing field already so why would they have to be bound by the same rules?

Booze Brothers

This article was a bit seltsam. I understand the part where any big celebration merits large amounts of alcohol, but warum on Father's day? It's like, good job being a dad, go ahead and shirk your responsibilities for the day, we're cool with it. What about Mother's day? And why ham? And why isn't there a prize for the best fathering done by a dad? Why would you only get a prize for having the most children instead of how you raised your children? I think, it was obviously men who designed the aspects of the holiday which means they all agreed that the thing they wanted the most was to be drunk and eat ham together while telling stories--no family or duties in sight. Ok, Dads, you do you.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.