Mittwoch, 22. Januar 2014

Kultur Kapitel 7

USA kulinarisch ist lustig. The section about "Bigger is Better" as a national motto was so spot on with the conceptions of the US, especially with food. Ich mag auch "Crawfish Boil" und "Sweet Tea--was ist das genau?"

People cutting in front of me in line is one of my worst pet-peeves. If someone creeps up next to me I usually throw them a glance like "I'm watching you" and I tend to look threatening when doing so, so people usually don't cut infront of me too often. It's interesting that in the US proper line etiquette is thing that you grow up with. In elementary school we had to line up in alphabetical order to walk orderly down to the cafeteria. In the post office there is always a clear line that must never be broken even if you just need to browse the boxes, you are not getting past the person in front of you.

Das Büch 365 Dinge is also lustig. Especially, die Bilder. All the awkward people showing you what a good time they are having, like number 54: Einmal ins DDR-Museum. From what I saw there was only one music themed Dinge, and it was Karaoke--if I were to/when I go to Deutschland music is definitely a priority. And music always says a lot about the culture of a place.

The student subsidies for cost of living sounds really nice. I think here that they almost charge you more because you are a student, because they know you will pay for it anyway.

The first year that I was at U-M my roommate was from Germany and when we went to Kroger for the first time, she complained about the bags, saying they were too flimsy.  Her father worked for a company that made plastic bags for die süpermarkt and she joked that they should supply bags in the US because were much better. This makes sense now. The reason bags here are worse quality is because they are free and Americans don't care about recycling. If we charged for plastic the bags would be much better and people would probably use reusable bags. Kudos Germany (and probably the rest of the world).



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.